It felt really good to take a big bag full of clothes and accessories to sell to a local consignment shop and get them out of my closet recently. Getting some cash that surprisingly didn't burn a hole in my pocket right away wasn't half bad either. I was 99.9% successful in my January no-buy month, the .01% coming on the 31st when a coupon was expiring. I know, I know. But that Too Faced Semi Sweet Chocolate palette was calling my name! Maybe if I just don't check my mail or email for coupons, this wouldn't be a problem. I'm actually pretty good about not letting those get the best of me, but this week that hasn't been the case.
With spring oh so close but still oh so far, I'm ready to start incorporating brighter and lighter pieces into my wardrobe, weather permitting of course. We're supposed to hit mid-50s this weekend (hands in the air) but then I'm sure we will get back to the cold next week. I plan on making another sweep of my closet and pulling even more things that I just don't wear anymore so that I can make room for some fresh, new pieces. I've been stalking the sale sections of my favorite stores and biting the bullet when they finally do a sale on sale. Those are the best. Hello Loft pants and sweater for 70% off. That's my kind of shopping. I think living on my own and truly being responsible for all of my own expenses has really opened my eyes to how much clothes cost. Plus who doesn't get a rush of excitement when they see how much they saved on their receipt? It's the thrill of the chase, I suppose.
In my fair isle obsession post, I talked about how my style was evolving. I'm finding myself lusting after pieces that I would have never given a second look toward before. Case in point, patterns like fair isle and gingham, trouser and flare legged jeans, and midi skirts. I'm starting to take control of my own style, and not let myself be defined by what I think I should be wearing. I guess you could say I've gained the confidence to wear what I want to wear and not worry about what people think. The same holds true for makeup. A couple years ago I would have never worn a bright lip to work, but now it's pretty much the norm.
These are just a few things that I am excited to incorporate into my wardrobe!
- I remember in high school, around my sophomore year or so, when I was introduced to the world of skinny jeans. After that I swore off flares forever, but recently I've seen some of my favorite bloggers rocking them something fierce. I think that a good pair of dark wash flares is perfectly sophisticated for the office or a casual weekend out and about. I read a comment somewhere that said "let your ankles breathe" and I couldn't agree more!
- Who is this girl liking all of these new patterns and prints? Me, that's who. This gingham button down is perfect for spring on it's own, but what I'm really excited about is using it to mix and layer with different prints and textures. I have found that one of the easiest way to take an outfit from boring to fabulous is by simply adding a layer with mixed prints.
- I've always been a skirt type of gal, especially high-waisted skirts that hit at your narrowest part. They're super flattering and so effortless to pull off by pairing it with a cute top tucked in. I've got my eye on a few floral numbers, but if I had to choose one I would go with a solid color to get more versatility out of it.
- I am always drawn to slouchy, flowy, and over-sized tops which I think is fine, but given my new obsession with layering I have found that this really works better with more fitted tops. It's a little more polished and put together too, since it helps define your body shape. Plus they'll look great with midi skirts and flare jeans that I'm looking to incorporate into my wardrobe.
- With a closet full of heels you would think I would wear them more, but I always fall back on my flats. They're just so darn comfortable and easy to throw on! I just rediscovered how much I love a particular pair of red heels that I already own, and it got me thinking why I haven't brought them out more. I think a good pair of leopard heels would be the perfect addition, because after all, leopard is basically a neutral.
What's on your wardrobe wish list?